Brubaker and Associates, Inc. (“BAI”) is an energy, economic and regulatory consulting firm based in the Greater St. Louis Area. We are a leading advisor in the rapidly changing regulated and competitive energy markets. Our clientele include industrial, commercial and institutional users of electricity, natural gas, steam water and wastewater services provided by hundreds of utilities throughout North America. We assist clients by: (i) providing expert testimony before regulatory and legislative bodies, (ii) providing representation in stakeholder processes (such as those for Independent System Operators and Regional Transmission Organizations) and (iii) providing assistance with the retail procurement of electricity and natural gas.
We are seeking candidates to expand our existing diverse consulting team further in the area of electric utility integrated resource planning.
For an entry level Associate Consultant position, interested candidates should have at least a Bachelor’s degree in either Electrical or Mechanical Engineering along with at least five (5) years of experience in the electric utility industry in resource planning and/or transmission planning. The candidate should also have strong written and oral communication skills along with strong analytical skills. In addition, the candidate should have experience with the use of data analysis tools such as Excel and R as well as experience with the use of one or more of the following transmission and resource planning modeling tools: PSS/E, PSLF, AURORAxmp, PROMOD, PROSYM, EGEAS, EnCompass, MAPS, MARS, PLEXOS, PowerSimm, SERVM, Strategist and/or System Optimizer.
For the Consultant position, the candidate should also have either: (i) a Master’s degree in Electrical Engineering with a focus on power systems along with two (2) additional years of experience in the electric utility industry in resource planning and/or transmission planning or (ii) five (5) additional years of experience in the electric utility industry in resource planning and/or transmission planning.
For the Senior Consultant position, the candidate should meet all of the requirements for the Consultant position plus also have: (i) five (5) additional years of experience in the electric utility industry in resource planning and/or transmission planning and (ii) experience with the development and presentation of expert testimony in the area of integrated resource planning.
Primary job responsibilities would include, but not be limited to:
- In depth review and analysis electric utility resource plans and electric utility proposals for resource additions.
- Development of electricity market price forecasts and electric utility rate forecasts for clients.
- In depth review and analysis of Independent System Operator and Regional Transmission Organization market design proposals related to resource adequacy and operating reserve requirements.
- In depth review and analysis of utility rate proposals with respect to the proposed allocation of the cost of resources to customer classes.
- Performance and/or supervision of modeling runs and data analysis as necessary to support the aforementioned responsibilities.
- Preparation of written testimony, exhibits, comments, presentations, client reports, memos and data requests.
- Presentation of live testimony at hearings (in virtual hearings during the current COVID-19 Pandemic).
- Once the current COVID-19 Pandemic is past, travel as necessary to testify at hearings, attend stakeholder and client meetings, attend conferences or obtain information.
Employee benefits we provide include, but are not limited to, medical benefits, a 401(k) plan and tuition reimbursement.
BAI is an equal opportunity employer.